Get your iPad review here. That’s right folks! Read what a “normal” consumer thinks (rather than the journalists or other reviewers who have no clue what the common folk think) after one day with his new device.
Some background on the reviewer (it’s not me). He’s an artist/illustrator. The man, the reviewer, the Spencer Lindsay (you’ll see some of his goods on his blog).
Here’s what he’s got to say:
======begin Spencer iPad review=======
Full day and a half of using my iPad and I can’t get it away from my teenage daughters – hence the snappy title.
- Battery Life:
- Absofuckinglutely unstoppable. I’ve had it on for the entire day today, playing movies, surfing the web – ooohhh… the web surfing… and drawing on it.
- As of 8:15pm, battery is at 65%
- UI:It’s cooler than SJ made it look in his easychair rollout talk. Smooth, fast and responsive without even one hiccup so far.
- If you have an iPhone or a touch, you know what to do.
- I bought iWork.
- Pages: Pretty damn cool. Kinda hard to type fast on the slippery keyboard, but I think I can get used to it. Extremely intuitive interface with one exception: where are all the files kept and why are there multiple copies? Must look into it.
- Numbers: Seems exactly as useable as pages – I’m going to mess with it tonight.
- iPhone apps sometimes crash.
- iPhone apps look a little yucky compared to the “HD” versions of the iPad apps.
- Google Maps app is shockingly fast and useable. The multitouch stuff really is amazing in this.
- I bought iWork.
- No Flash.
- I have yet to find this a problem. CBS even has a (FREE) iPad app that lets you watch their shows (FREE) and it acts just like Hulu. I’m guessing that all the networks are going to do this if they like money. 700,000 sold in one day… yoiks!
- GPS, Compass, Accelerometer:
- All work flawlessly with most apps, though some of the app store purchases seem a little “rickety”… possibly the new API – I know there were some changes between iPhone and iPad.
- Sharp, crisp and fast.
- Sticky fingers do leave some smudges though, I’ve had to clean it twice today but there’s been a ton of fingers on it.
- Movies: Awesome. Clear and sharp and very fast to load.
- I’ve purchased one book: Dies the fire, and it’s very readable – The one thing I might add is a “lock scree rotation” button. Occasionally, while shifting positions, the screen rotated on me.
- There are a bazillion free downloads of all the classics. It felt funny loading Tolstoy and the collected works of Shakespear on it but I did it because I could.
- Pretty much the same a iPhone mail with more room.
- Holy mother of God this is where the iPad totally shines for me. The speed is fantastic, the refresh speed of the graphics is amazing and the multitouch to zoom in and out of pages at will is just so cool.
I had it with me at the aquarium today and the reactions were anything but ambivalent. I got one of two reactions:
1.) OMG is that an IPAD!! Want!
b.) Oh yeah, an iPad, I can’t believe you bought one. (editor’s note…it’s an inside joke with “b” following “1” in our lists)
The naysayers usually say: But it’s just a big iPod Touch…
My question is: “is that a bad thing?”
Still trying to figure out if this will replace the MBP… it might.
=====end Spencer iPad Review======
Spencer then went on to ramble on about what happened on Day Two of his iPad experience.
=====Spencer’s iPad Thoughts Day Two====
Left it on the kitchen counter.
In a half an hour, Clan Lindsay had looked up a map of Santa Cruz, checked housing listings, googled images of Lady Gaga all while listening to the new Black-Eyed Peas album.
It’s more of an appliance than I thought.
=====end Spencer’s iPad Thoughts Day Two====
And there you have it folks. An everyday consumer with a family seems to think “yes, I like this machine”. Forget all the “pundits” and “experts” who complain about the lack of a camera or that it doesn’t have a keyboard. This isn’t a laptop for crying out loud. It’s a new device. As I stated/asked in my last iPad piece with my predictions, it’s created a whole new category. I’ll admit I want one. It won’t replace my laptop but it will certainly be a nice device to have in the living room, bedroom, kitchen…
Kudos to you Apple for creating yet another winner and making countless millions craving to spend more money on your devices. Sheesh…anyone want to send me one to review?