Ha! You’ve gotta love it. I just read this article on Engadget. Based on this leak of an AT&T internal document I’d say AT&T execs are fearing the release of the Palm Pre. They put out this little memo to their peeps pretty much saying the iPhone is vastly superior to the Pre. That’s fine…I mean doesn’t everyone talk trash about the competition? Wait…that means AT&T think the Pre IS competition. Rock on Palm!
Let’s look at this chart. Do any of these “giant faults” make you think the Pre is crap?
- The “unproven app store” for the Pre. I don’t care. As long as I can get my apps I’m happy. Hell, it’s probably better than what I’m doing to get apps onto my Treo right now.
- “Touchscreen control gestures not intuitive”? Huh? As if we all knew how to use the multi-touch on the iPhone? (I do dig the multi-touch though)
- Music “no sych capability”. I don’t care. To me it’s a phone. I’ll put music on there when I want. And it’s not THAT hard to drag and drop files.
- Music again…the Pre lets you download from Amazon too. I’d say that’s a plus, right?
- “Limited free wifi access”. Huh? Oh yeah, Apple’s deal with Starbucks. Aside from that it’s all the same people! Seriously…c’mon…that’s the best you got?
- HOWEVER…I will say it kinda blows that the Pre doesn’t have the GSM network for global access. I know that’s a huge issue for some people. For me, it’s not that bad because I don’t travel around the world much. I do know it’s a problem though.
Something that’s NOT on this chart…the crappy AT&T service. I keep seeing all those “more bars in more places” (gotta admit it’s a good campaign if you remember that) ads for AT&T but I hear a hell of a lot of real world complaints about AT&T’s 3G coverage. Sprint’s 3G is pretty speedy.
So, there ya go. AT&T is slamming the Pre. I don’t remember seeing AT&T slam any other phone. Does this bode well for prospective Pre owners? I also recall Apple having a bit of a tizzy with Palm on some patent issues with the Pre. Hmmmm…